July 14, 2012

Being An Educator

I always knew I wanted to be an educator.  There are so many teachers in my family so I guess it was inevitable.  :) Teaching is an amazing profession!  I get to experience children growing and changing right in front of my eyes everyday.   I'm very partial to elementary education particularly kindergarten.  I've taught kindergarten for eight years and to me there is tremendous growth packed in to one year of learning.  LOVE my job!   To me being an educator has always meant teaching children in a classroom.  Now, it seems to be more.

I took the boys to get haircuts the other day and while we were there I found myself educating a few of the stylist about achondroplasia.  I don't always feel the need to explain that Reid has achondroplasia or what it is.  However, sometimes I do.  The stylist who cut Spencer's hair walked over to see Reid and asked how old he was...If you have a child with a form of skeletal dysplasia I'm sure you can close your eyes now and finish the story. :)  When I told her he was 8 months old she then asked if he was crawling.  I said, "No, not yet".  Then, I began to explain that he would be a bit behind in his gross motor skills because he was born with achondroplasia.  Of course, she had the look of "say what?...achondro what?"  I explained achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism.  Her questions began to follow just as if I was in a classroom teaching my kindergartners about the duck billed platypus....questions, questions, questions.
Question: "Is that something that you carry and passed down to him?"
Answer: "Nope, it's a random mutation that occurs at or before the time of conception."
Question: "So, it can happen to anyone?!"
Answer: "Yep." 
(She looked a little shocked and scared at this point. Trying not to roll my eyes, I told her the chances were pretty rare.) I hate to say that I wanted to roll my eyes but I am human and these questions do come often and it seems they are always the same.  I could have done without the next comment of, "Well he's still very cute."  What?!!! Still??  If I cut her some slack I'm sure she didn't really mean "still cute".  I said, "Yeah he's cute!  The cutest!"  By this time Reid and I seemed to have the attention of three or four stylist in the salon.  I was educating people right then and there but not in my classroom, not with lesson plans and not with an agenda...with life.  My life. Reid's life.  I realized right then the importance of teaching people about achondroplasia. Before I had Reid I knew nothing about achondroplasia and that is what I have to realize. People that ask questions don't know and they want to know.  When I have five year olds in my classroom eager to learn I'm jumping with excitement inside.  Why should people we bump into be any different?  If I tell them about achondroplasia and Reid flashes his gigantic smile a few times, they will listen, learn and become comfortable about something they knew nothing about.  As Reid's mom that is my new goal.  I'll be an educator for the rest of my life.  I won't retire and tuck it away, it will always be something I do.

I'm spending most of my time right now educating this guy!
Just look at those sleepy eyes ready for his story and then bed.

What is Moma getting? A book?

 Choices, choices! :)

Tonight my precious guy wanted to hold the book and turn the pages!




Tonight's story of choice is near and dear to our hearts! The author is my uncle and the illustrator is my aunt!  I love this book! I have a copy at home in Reid's nursery and in my classroom for my kinder kiddos! :)








5 comments:

  1. Gosh, I don't know, I really respect you for viewing it this way. For the most part, I feel like everyone can just f... off and it's not my job and duty to answer everyone's idiotic, repetitive questions - I am a really nice person, aren't I... I do come around for the most part and explain, but I do roll my eyes and grit mu teeth in the process, it is such a private thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an educator, too, at the other end of the age group (college), and I've definitely noticed my "teacher" instinct kicking in. I love it when people ask me questions, because I can help them learn more. A lot of people are the opposite, though. I think they are worried that if they ask questions, they will seem too nosey (this would definitely be my reaction if I were in their shoes), but then they just make (often erroneous) assumptions, so I'd rather they talk to me directly about it. And Reid is definitely the cutest!!! I love the thumb sucking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your damn right he's the CUTEST!
    I haven't had really anyone say anything to Eddie or myself about Lyla. I think it's because we told everyone we knew about her condition before she was born. So basically so many people know. Lyla is constantly attracting attention because to see her walking around is the sweetest thing in the world. Perfect strangers will stop and smile and say how adorable/beautiful she is. They can't believe that a child that tiny could walk around so well! When people ask me how old she is I simply say.....she is one! I don't do months!
    Eddie and I have business cards made about dwarfism that we carry around with us wherever we go. Just in case people start to ask us questions we can give them one and it basically explains all the important facts about dwarfism. We are educating people without talking.
    I do find in general (not talking about Lyla) that people in this world have some BIG balls to say anything to anybody. The good news is I have GIANT balls and I have no problem telling people that they are rude and they need to mind their business! Thank goodness I haven't had to say anything about Lyla but I know when she gets older I will and god help those idiots! Lol
    Until then, I have my business cards ready and hopefully it won't end up with me knocking someone out! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are more sensitive to people words after having our little guys. I hate the word...normal. You are doing such a great job mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, Lord.

    He is the MOST adorable little guy EVER! Is it okay that I've already sent him to prom with Sianna, in my head? LOL! J/K.

    I think this was eloquently put and spot on to how most of us POLP feel when dealing with the general public about Achon. But you are TOTALLY right, before I had Sianna, I knew jack-diddly about Achondroplasia. So go on. Keep educating the world, one person at at a time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete