July 13, 2012

Parkley

Today as we ran out to go for a swim, Briggs checked the filter like he always does.  He yells out, "MOM! There's a baby turtle!"  Sometimes we get baby snapping turtles caught in the pool filter overnight.  The seem to be confusing our pool for the lake.  This time he seemed really excited so I hurried over.  A tiny red eared slider turtle (at least that is what I think he was) was perched on the edge of the flagstone about to take the plunge into the pool.  I told Briggs to grab him because he wasn't a snapping turtle and he wouldn't bite.  He looked at me as if to say...."Seriously? You're joking right?" Hahahahaha! So I had to explain to my little south Georgia lake dweller that not all turtles are snapping turtles.  Well, from there it was instant interest!  We scooped him up in a plastic container and let him hang out in the shade while we went swimming.  Briggs got out every 10 minutes to check on him.  Briggs named him "Parkley" and it became very clear, very soon that he would be wanting Parkley to stick around as another member of the family. 

I think Parkley was adorable!  He was so incredibly tiny!  I began texting a few friends that have had pet turtles to get the "low down" and googling to get a little turtle knowledge.  The Internet seemed to portray their care as a big deal but friends said it was pretty low maintenance.  That's good!  However, it was mentioned that they can carry salmonella.  It doesn't harm the animal but of course is terrible for humans, especially older adults and kids.  So, in the end we decided to let Parkley go live in the big lake where he will have lots of room to grow.  Briggs was such a good sport and thought that it would be a good idea as well.  Love my sweet guy! He's growing up so much!

(There was some major hand washing after this!)
Cute little Parkley!



Let's go let him go!


I can't even see him in this picture! Anyone?


 Bye Parkley!







1 comment: